In the aftermath of Australia‘s historic sixth ODI World Cup triumph, star batter David Warner has dropped a significant hint about his future in the 50-over format.
David Warner’s prolific performance in the ODI World Cup 2023
Warner played a pivotal role in Australia’s success in the subcontinent, making a prolific contribution to their campaign. Despite scoring just seven runs in the final, his sole single-digit score in the tournament, Warner emerged as Australia’s top run-scorer overall. His impressive tally of 535 runs from eleven games, at an average of 48.64 and a strike rate of 108.30, marked a standout performance in the CWC 2023.
Also READ: From 1975 to 2023: List of ODI World Cup Winning Captains, Player of the Match in Final & Player of the Tournament
Retirement speculations quashed: Warner’s strong response
Notably, Warner had earlier announced his decision to retire from Test cricket, but there are no indications of him slowing down in the shorter formats. The 37-year-old determination to continue representing Australia was evident in his response to an ESPN Cricinfo post declaring the end of his World Cup career. Reacting to the post, which highlighted Warner’s impressive record of 1527 runs, the prolific batter defiantly stated on X (previously known as Twitter), “Who said I’m finished?”
Who said I’m finished?? https://t.co/1WMACz33RL
— David Warner (@davidwarner31) November 20, 2023
Warner withdraws from T20I series against India
Despite withdrawing from the T20I squad for a five-match series against India in India, starting November 23, where Aaron Hardie was named as his replacement, Warner’s strong statement suggests that he is not ready to hang up his boots in ODIs just yet. The cricketing world waits in anticipation to see how Warner’s illustrious career unfolds in the coming months.