Erling Haaland Transfer Update: Man City Star’s Real Madrid Dream Faces Kylian Mbappe Obstacle

Erling Haaland Transfer Update: Man City Star’s Real Madrid Dream Faces Kylian Mbappe Obstacle

© IMAGO

Real Madrid are unsure whether they could afford Erling Haaland following the arrival of Kylian Mbappe, according to Spanish media.

Football’s worst-kept secret was finally made public on Monday when Kylian Mbappe officially joined Real Madrid after a two-year saga. However, the Frenchman isn’t the only big-name star long linked with Los Blancos.

Article continues under the video

Real Madrid reportedly dream of signing Man City sharpshooter Erling Haaland and the feeling is said to be mutual, with the Norwegian striker keen to eventually become a Galactico.

READ MORE: Mbappe sent strong Real Madrid message by Rodrygo

Haaland’s current Man City contract has given Real Madrid hope. Haaland is thought to have a release clause of €200 million this summer, but it automatically decreases every year. Los Blancos, it has been claimed, would launch an attempt to sign him next year or in 2026.

However, the arrival of Kylian Mbappe could complicate the matter.

Erling Haaland
© IMAGO – Erling Haaland

Can Real Madrid afford Haaland?

At least that is according to Madrid-based AS, which states that sources at the club doubt whether Real can afford to have both Mbappe and Haaland on their roster.

Though Mbappe arrives on a nominal free transfer and is firmly in line with Real’s other big earners, the financial package required to sign him is nevertheless outrageous.

Those close to the LaLiga champions doubt whether a move for Haaland is feasible as long as Mbappe and all the other big names are at the club despite the fact that Real expect additional annual earnings totalling €150m from the renovated Santiago Bernabeu.

READ MORE: Kylian Mbappe’s ASTRONOMICAL tax bill

Furthermore, Haaland is thought to own 100 per cent of his image rights, which is an extra problem. One of the biggest points of contention during the Mbappe saga was how to split the player’s image rights.

Usually, they are split 50/50 between the player and the club, but the Frenchman only agreed to relinquish 20 per cent, still owning the remaining 80 per cent. Haaland is expected to demand a similar amount.

Then, of course, there is Man City, who are desperate to bring Haaland and his agent Rafaela Pimenta back to the negotiating table over a new deal. Though nothing is impossible for Real Madrid, signing the Norwegian will be a challenge.

Comments

No comments yet. Why don’t you start the discussion?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *