Man Utd told Frenkie de Jong is NOT for sale as Barcelona chief rules out summer transfer for midfielder

Date:

BARCELONA president Joan Laporta has made it clear that Frenkie de Jong is not for sale this summer.

The midfielder, 25, has been heavily linked with a move to Manchester United over the past few months.

De Jong has been heavily linked with a move to Man Utd

2

De Jong has been heavily linked with a move to Man UtdCredit: Getty
But Laporta has insisted that the midfielder is not for sale

2

But Laporta has insisted that the midfielder is not for saleCredit: AP

But last week Laporta revealed that he is eager for De Jong to stay at Camp Nou despite ongoing interest.

He said: “There are clubs that want him, not just United.

“We have no intention of selling him, he wants to stay.

“Frenkie is considered as one of the best midfielders in the world by all the experts. We are happy to have him.

“I’m going to do everything I can in my power so that Frenkie stays here, but there’s also a salary issue and that would have to be adjusted.”

Despite the claims, the Red Devils were still hopeful that a deal could eventually be agreed.

However, the Barca chief is now becoming increasingly frustrated with the transfer rumours.

Speaking at a press conference on Tuesday, he said: “He’s a Barca player and if we don’t have the need, we won’t sell him. We don’t want to sell him.

SUN BINGO GET £50 BONUS & 50 FREE SPINS TODAY

“We know he has offers, but right now we’re not selling this player.”

This will be another blow for United with the club already in turmoil following the shock revelation that Cristiano Ronaldo wants to leave Old Trafford this summer.

The 37-year-old has been granted indefinite leave by club officials after delaying his return to pre-season training due to family reasons.

During Tuesday’s press conference, Laporta also revealed that he has been in talks with Ronaldo’s agent Jorge Mendes.

He refused to rule out the prospect of bringing the five-time Ballon d’Or winner to Camp Nou, despite his Real Madrid legacy.

The Spaniard said: “I had dinner on Monday with Jorge Mendes and we talked about the market in general.

“Cristiano? I’m not going to talk about the players who came out of the meeting, but it’s always interesting to know how some names are on the market.

“I’m not going to talk about players in one way or another, it could be misunderstood.

“It doesn’t contribute anything to the interests of Barca. We have to respect the players who have contracts with other teams.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Popular

More like this
Related