FRENKIE DE JONG will reportedly hold talks with Barcelona on Monday regarding his future amid interest from Manchester United.
The 25-year-old has been heavily linked with a switch to the Red Devils with his former Ajax gaffer Erik Ten Hag desperate for a reunion at Old Trafford.
Reports earlier this month even suggested that the two clubs had reached an agreement worth £56.2million for the midfielder.
But the rumour was rubbished by Barca president Joan Laporta who insisted that the Holland international was not for sale.
His ex-Blaugrana gaffer Ronald Koeman stated on Friday how he has spoken with the player, where he confirmed his intention to remain at the Nou Camp.
And according to Mundo Deportivo, De Jong will hold talks with Barca today when he arrives for his first training session of pre-season.
They state that boss Xavi will speak with club chiefs to determine whether De Jong is an essential player for the team.
The Spaniard will then then relay that message to the player when he arrives for training.
Despite the uncertainty around De Jong, the Spanish news outlet has insisted that he does not want to leave.
It has been said that he has told friends and family of his desire to remain in Catalonia, where he has just bought a house in Pedralbes.
FREE BETS AND SIGN UP DEALS – BEST NEW CUSTOMER OFFERS
The newspaper has also declared that should De Jong decide to depart, it would only be for a team in the Champions League.
And with United to feature in the Europa League next season, a switch to Old Trafford seems highly unlikely.
They state that Barca are aware that De Jong is United’s No1 target, but they haven’t turned their interest into a formal approach.
Along with United, Chelsea have also been linked with De Jong as they weigh up a possible shock deal.
New Blues owner Todd Boehly recently met Laporta for dinner in the Spanish city to fuel speculation of a potential transfer.