Tyson Fury vs Usyk Fight Scrapped Soon

crop 21594069

The highly anticipated heavyweight showdown between Tyson Fury and Oleksandr Usyk is ‘not far off’ being scrapped, according to promoter Bob Arum.

The fight was due to take place on October 24th in Las Vegas, but the coronavirus pandemic has thrown a spanner in the works.

Arum, who promotes Fury, has now revealed that a decision on whether the fight will go ahead or not will be made in the near future.

He told ESPN: “We’re not far off from making a decision on the Fury-Usyk fight. We’re going to have to make a decision in the next few days.

“We’re looking at the situation and trying to figure out what’s best for everybody. We’re trying to make the best decision for the fighters, the fans, and the promoters.”

The fight was originally scheduled to take place in July, but was postponed due to the pandemic.

The bout was then rescheduled for October, but the situation in Las Vegas has deteriorated in recent weeks, with the city’s mayor, Carolyn Goodman, calling for a return to lockdown.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission has also imposed a ban on all combat sports events until October 15th, which has further complicated matters.

Fury and Usyk have both expressed their desire to fight, but Arum is now considering other options.

He said: “We’re looking at other places, but it’s not easy. We’re looking at places in the United States, but it’s not easy. We’re looking at places in Europe, but it’s not easy.

“We’re looking at places in the Middle East, but it’s not easy. We’re looking at places in Asia, but it’s not easy.”

The fight is a crucial one for both men, with Fury looking to defend his WBC heavyweight title and Usyk looking to become the first undisputed cruiserweight champion in history.

It is a fight that has been eagerly anticipated by boxing fans around the world, but it now looks increasingly likely that it will not take place.

Arum is hopeful that a decision can be made soon, but it is clear that the situation is far from ideal.

The promoter added: “We’re trying to make the best decision for everybody, and we’re hoping to make a decision in the next few days.”