Everton boss Sean Dyche has admitted he is not expecting to conduct much business in the January transfer window, amid ownership and financial uncertainty at the club.
The Toffees were deducted 10 points by the Premier League for breaching FFP rules in November, but bounced back with four successive wins, before they have lost their last three matches.
They sit in 17th place, one point clear of the relegation zone but would be 12th without the penalty.
Despite the threat of relegation, finances remain tight at Goodison Park amid construction costs for their new stadium at Bramley-Moore Dock, losses in recent years and the uncertainty of 777 Partners’ proposed £500million takeover of the club, which is still awaiting approval.
However, Everton’s injury list is lengthening with Abdoulaye Doucoure, Dele Alli and Ashley Young all out, while Idrissa Gana Gueye is off to AFCON with Senegal.
Sean Dyche has admitted he is not expecting much business in the January transfer window
It comes amid financial and ownership uncertainty at the club, with 777 Partners’ proposed £500m takeover still awaiting approval (pictured left – 777 co-found Josh Wander)
Your browser does not support iframes.
Nevertheless, Dyche played down their chances of bringing in additions to supplement what is already a small squad.
‘To do any deal, there has to be finance,’ he told his pre-match press conference ahead of Thursday’s FA Cup tie against Crystal Palace.
‘The club has to be in situation to do the deal. Kev (Thelwell – Director of Football) had to work very hard to construct deals in the summer.
‘We managed to rebalance the squad the best we could but we had to lose some players as well.
‘The situation (now) is similar but different. You never know with the twists and turns of football how deals present themselves but at the moment it’s very likely to be quiet.’
Dyche was then questioned on whether this could change if the proposed takeover was approved this month.
The club are also faced with construction costs for their new stadium at Bramley-Moore Dock
Dyche also revealed that Abdoulaye Doucoure is ‘touch and go’ for the Crystal Palace clash
He added: ‘We’ll see. They’ve been very casual with their information to us because it’s not a done deal yet. They’ve said, “Look, we’re not going to get involved because of all the due diligence and checks”.
‘They’ve been very up front with us and it was a very casual chat about life at Everton, picking our brains and becoming more informed.
‘Until it’s a done deal, there’s no point (doing anything else).’
The Everton boss also insisted he hoped to have a few more players back for the clash with Palace at Selhurst Park, but Abdoulaye Doucoure – the club’s top scorer with six goals so far this season – is ‘touch and go’.