Standard Liege confident Everton’s prospective owners 777 Partners will have transfer ban lifted

admin
4 Min Read

One of the clubs owned by Everton’s prospective owners 777 Partners have been hit with a transfer ban.

Belgian Pro League side Standard Liege were placed under a transfer embargo by the country’s football association over a failure to meet transfer payments for two players.

As reported by the Liverpool Echo, the two transfers in question are that of Ilyes Ziani from Union Saint-Gilloise in May 2023, as well as Aron Donnum, now at Toulouse, who signed in 2021 from Norwegian side Valerenga – a deal completed before 777 Partners took control of the club. 

Liege though are confident that the sanction placed against them will shortly be lifted. 

In a statement they said: ‘As indicated to the (Licence) Commission, the club’s shareholder will transfer the necessary funds to regularise the situation.

Everton’s prospective owners 777 Partners have been hit with a transfer ban at Standard Liege (pictured)

A potential takeover at Everton edged a slep closer last month after 777 Partners had their bid cleared by the Financial Conduct Authority (Josh Wander pictured)

A potential takeover at Everton edged a slep closer last month after 777 Partners had their bid cleared by the Financial Conduct Authority (Josh Wander pictured)

Your browser does not support iframes.

‘The club is therefore confident that the sanction will be lifted. The possibility of attracting players from January 1 is therefore in no way up for question.’

There has been no confirmation as yet as to whether Liege’s ban will be lifted in time to allow them to do business this month.

Liege are one of several clubs in the 777 Partners football portfolio which also includes Genoa, Hertha Berlin, Vasco da Gama, Red Star Paris and Melbourne Victory. 

It emerged last year that their Brazilian side Vasco da Gama had also missed scheduled transfer payments, as per the Times. 

A potential £500m takeover at Everton recently edged a step closer after the American investment firm 777 Partners had their bid cleared by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA).

Everton boss Sean Dyche has admitted he is not expecting to conduct much business in the January transfer window, amid ownership and financial uncertainty at the club.

The Toffees were deducted 10 points by the Premier League for breaching FFP rules in November, but bounced back with four successive wins, before they have lost their last three matches.

Despite the threat of relegation, finances remain tight at Goodison Park amid construction costs for their new stadium at Bramley-Moore Dock, losses in recent years and the uncertainty of 777 Partners’ proposed £500million takeover of the club, which is still awaiting approval.

The Belgian side are confident that the ban will be lifted in time to conduct business this month

The Belgian side are confident that the ban will be lifted in time to conduct business this month

IT’S ALL KICKING OFF! 

It’s All Kicking Off is an exciting new podcast from Mail Sport that promises a different take on Premier League football, with a show every Monday and Thursday this season.

It is available on MailOnline, Mail+, YouTube , Apple Music and Spotify

Your browser does not support iframes.

Advertisement

When asked if their transfer plans could change if the takeover officially goes through, Dyche said: ‘We’ll see. They’ve been very casual with their information to us because it’s not a done deal yet. They’ve said, “Look, we’re not going to get involved because of all the due diligence and checks”. 

‘They’ve been very up front with us and it was a very casual chat about life at Everton, picking our brains and becoming more informed.

‘Until it’s a done deal, there’s no point (doing anything else).’

Share This Article
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *